During the last excavation season, we were told that we had to cook for a couple of days throughout the season. I had this recipe ready to go! It was so popular that I had several people asking me for the recipe. So, I wrote something quickly and sent it off. Then, I decided I needed to let everyone know!
Ingredients needed. You can always substitute for other vegetables. For instance you can add carrots, mushrooms, etc. Perhaps experiment with other types of cheeses. I prefer cottage cheese over ricotta because not only does it enhance the flavor but it also adds the protein needed to ensure a satisfying vegetarian meal!
- 1 box of noodles – preferably no-boil
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red and green pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 275 g of cottage cheese
- 500 g of mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of tomato sauce – basil
- 3 tsp of cream
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 2 tsp of unsalted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 200 g of spinach
- 1 tsp of garlic powder or mince 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit/ 220 degrees Celsius. Prepare your vegetables.
- In a skillet heat up the olive oil and once hot enough add in your minced garlic, cook for one minute. Then add in the zucchini, bell peppers, onion, salt, and pepper (if you opt for garlic powder, add it in here). Once vegetables are golden and onions are translucent (approximately 8 minutes).
- Add in your spinach into the skillet and cook until wilted. Take off the heat. As it is cooking, add a little butter throughout.
- Prepare your sauce by mixing salt, pepper, cream, and tomato sauce together.
- Mix in the cottage cheese into the vegetable mixture and you are ready to assemble your lasagna!
- Spread some of your tomato sauce to the bottom of the pan. Then add a layer of noodles on top of it.
- Add about half of your vegetable mixture on top of the noodles with a layer of mozzarella. Another layer of noodles, then another layer of the remainder of your vegetable mixture. Add some mozzarella on top.
- Add some more noodles on top, then your sauce and top with the remainder of your mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 18 minutes.
- Remove the foil and cook for 10 minutes.
- When ready, remove and allow to cool down before serving. Then it is ready to serve! When allowing to cool down, see if you can make some easy garlic bread as a great addition to the meal.